Irrespective of where you go in the world, tipping is always a sensitive subject.
There are countries around the world where tipping is not the custom as it is considered part of the cost of the service. South Africa is not one of these.
We will try to give you an idea of how to tip in South Africa, although these are only guidelines.
Unless otherwise stipulated as a service fee, tipping in South Africa is optional, the amount is at your discretion and service satisfaction.
We recommend that you tip in the following cases:
- Porterage from R10 to R20 per person each way.
- Restaurants, the norm is at 10%.
- Car guards from R1 to R5 depending on area and time.
- Tourist guides, R50 per person per day.
- Tour bus drivers, R25 per person per day.
- Rangers and trackers, R50 per person per outing.
- Petrol attendants, from R1 to R10.